How to Select Food Packaging?
Wandering through the aisles of the grocery store will make one realize how far the packaging industry has come. Packaging is a cornerstone of food processing industry. With the retail sector in India undergoing metamorphosis, food manufacturers and retailers are constantly seeking out avant-garde packaging designs to resonate with customers. The right kind of packaging not only provides an aesthetic appeal to the product but it also helps to maintain the quality of the food. However, it can be challenging for manufacturers to choose the right packaging material according to their business needs, even with the huge variety of choices available these days.
ften manufacturers find it difficult to strike a balance between the quality of the material and it’s cost. So before placing an order for product packaging, one must take the following factors into the account:
- Quality and composition of the material: The preliminary step is to determine which food packaging materials are best suited for your product. The chemical composition of the food, it’s size, storage conditions, expected shelf life, the permeability of the packaging material are just a few of the characteristics that must be taken into consideration. Also, to provide ease of use and convenience to the customers, physical properties of the material should be kept in mind while deciding the packaging material.
For instance, Hector Beverages opted for CPP and OPP structure for its packaging of their product “Paper Boat Chikki”. The USP of this pack is its easy tear functionality.
- Cost: There are several materials which can be selected to provide long shelf life, but one must ask if there is a need for the best barrier. The important question that needs to be raised is ‘does the extension of the shelf life justify the cost of the material and the quality of the food?’
- Size, Shape, and Design: To reduce cost and improve flexibility and convenience during storage, handling and transportation, the manufacturer must select the right shape and design of the packaging for its product. This could also be used to enhance visual impact and establish brand individuality.
- Secondary and Tertiary Packaging: To ensure that the product is not damaged throughout the shipping and handling process, it is essential to select the right protective packaging.
- Food Packaging Supplier: It is essential to find a reliable and trustworthy packaging supplier who would be able to supply the quality packaging material in bulk quantities within the defined lead time.
- Compliance with legal and regulatory norms: Choosing materials and equipment that comply with industry regulations and legal guidelines would boost sustainable production in the long run.